Nov 14, 2007

Britney Spears Naked

What can I say about the Marshall game? They have really, really, really, really, really good kickers.

I am upset about the loss, but at the same time I'm trying not to be too upset because perhaps what's wrong with this program isn't the football team but the fans. Yeah, us. Maybe we should re-examine why we expected what we expected from the team this season. If we thought they might go 7-5 or 6-6, we wouldn't really be that pissed would we? OK, yeah, we'd still be pissed, but you see my point.

Sure, we could still get into a bowl. ... Yay ... But almost every year, ECU lets us down, regardless of coaches or players. The common denominator seems to be our own misguided expectations, fueled by the hype machines that surround the program (including this very blog).

The only time the Pirates have ever exceeded my expectations to any significant degree was 1991, my first drunken year at ECU. Every year after that I have endured hearing about the latest hot high school prospect who turned down Florida State and Southern Cal to come play for us, the mighty Pirates! Yay! And that dude would almost always end up sucking. So I remind myself that that type of hype is just Sports (Mis)Information Department bullshit. We have to stop buying into.

I am not advocating passively accepting crap seasons from the program. I think we should expect to field a team capable of cracking the polls and winning bowl games every year. There is no reason for this to be otherwise. As fans, we should demand it.

But we also need to realistically evaluate where we are as a team before each season, not just cross our fingers and pray for the best possible outcome every game -- which was what happened in 1991. We got very lucky.

Yes, we should have beaten the 1-8 Thundering Herd this year regardless of how good we may or may not be. I won't argue that. But we lost to N.C. State, too. And Southern Miss (as always) and they're not even that good this year. Why? The answer, sadly, might just be that we aren't really as good as we thought.

And that is unacceptable. We can and should do better. But once we identify the real problem -- ability -- then we can act to correct it. If it's "just another letdown" how do you fix that? Fire everybody and kick all the players off the team and start over?

I still have faith in Skip Holtz. I'm on board with him for at least another season. But if we don't make progress in 2008, I'm going to raise the "No Quarter" flag.

3 comments:

Ron Cherubini said...

I think you are right about fans expectations...

Skip laid it out pretty clearly at the beginning of the season: We are more talented this year than last, but our record may not indicate it given the schedule."

If you take that at face value, the season is unfolding right on track. Should we win our bowl game, it will be progress: Last year = get to a bowl game; this year = win a bowl game.

Disagree on your rant about top players...the most hyped players in the last four years have delivered. Chris Johnson = Top 5 back in the country; Quentin Cotton = Lombardi semi-finalist until his shoulder broke; Dwayne Harris = most dynamic player ECU has had since Keith Stokes; Jamar Bryant = having a breakout year with two seasons left.

Rarely does a team with a first-year QB win a lot. When they do, it is because the Offensive line is spectacular or the Defense is lights out giving a QB a short field.

Is there any excuse to lose to Marshall...? Unfortunately, yes. Our team, without a bye week on this schedule, has had an abnormal number of major injuries...particularly in the defensive front seven.

back to the progress model: 2006 = get to a bowl game; 2007 = get to AND win a bowl game; 2008 = get to CUSA Championship and win bowl game; 2009 = win CUSA Title and Win bowl Game.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

wat does this has to do with britny naked, im lesbian and i wanna see her pussy, ass and boobs they might be awsome, yeah shes sexy!humuhum!iai, i feel horny!! estoy exitada. wanna have sex! anyone? I WANNA SEE BRITNEYS BOOBS :(

im looking for a girl friend lesbian not BISEXUAL. my name is anne contact this email to fuck me! im suepr sexy contact me and ill give u my picture after u contact me and add me and send me ur pictre must be a girl!

LexbianSexyLesbian@HOTMAIL.COM