Nov 11, 2007

Marshall 26, ECU 7

That was the most disappointing loss in my 20 years of Pirate fandom. To score seven points against a team upon whom the University of New Hampshire hung 48. To lose to a 1-8 team whose only victory came against Rice. And to lose with the C-USA championship so firmly in our sights.

The biggest disapointment was my expectation that the Pirates were going to throw this monkey off its back. I knew that ECU has a proclivity toward losing games that we should win. I thought that Coach Holtz would finally rid us of this habit. But, Holtz follows the tradition of recent ECU coaches -- namely "Weak Suck" Thompson and Steve LoGone -- who can also be counted on to lose the big game against the team we should beat easily.

This Pirate team doesn't deserve to play for the C-USA championship. They don't deserve to play in a bowl. And they don't deserve my continued interest.

Unfortunately for me, they'll never lose the latter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Matt.

I am so tired of the same old thing with this team....i.e. never turning the corner. Are we cursed? Is there something in the water in Pitt County? Man, am I sick of this crap.

Robb said...

Well said, Matt and Greg

Anonymous said...

I hope we don't go to a bowl because I will have TH put the guilt trip on me to buy tickets. Then I will have to suffer through watching them on TV get blown away just like last year.

Ron Cherubini said...

Thought a couple of days would take the sting away.

Nope, still sick.

Will it ever be easy to be a Pirate fan.

Well said, Matt...well said.

Anonymous said...

Matt, I echo your comments except, for me, it's been 40 years, not twenty. As for bowl games, can ANY team which ends the season ranked well into the bottom half of Division 1 justify going to a bowl? Especially one ranked in the bottom half and NOT a conference champion.